Background

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Jack Frost is a Demon

The Atlanta area was hit with approximately 2 1/2 inches of snow this week.  For areas that experience regular extended periods of snow, I'm sure 2 1/2 inches is laughable.  Keep in mind, dear Northerner, that your area has probably invested in snow plows, salt trucks and various other appropriate snow removal equipment.  There is probably a well thought out and efficient plan to address snow and ice. You anticipate the snow and ice and act accordingly.  We aren't like that here.  : )  We do not regularly navigate icy roads or shovel sidewalks.  We frequently wear shorts at Christmas, okay?  Could preventive measures been taken more quickly?  Probably.  Would I vote to pay a significant amount of my tax dollars for equipment that may be used once every four or five years?  Heck no.  A friend on Facebook threatened the life of a certain groundhog if spring is not predicted soon.  I don't believe a groundhog's self-awareness has any actual effect on the weather, but some hope, however flimsy, of warmer weather would be encouraging.

I am extremely grateful that my girls made it home from school Tuesday without any problem and that we were safely ensconced in our home the next two days with power, heating, and plenty of food.  I'm sure if I enjoyed a couple of unexpected snow days with hot tea and a movie marathon, it would have been a banner week.  However, I am a teleworking employee.  Part of the "joy" of teleworking is that unless you lose power and/or Internet service, you are fully capable of working.  And by capable, I mean totally expected to work or use up some of your leave time.  Luckily, Hubs was able to take time off so I could actually work.  I was able to get a lot done, despite children repeatedly wanting to regale me with tales of their latest Mario Brothers adventure or showing me The Worm (don't ask).  Schools opened again Friday, and I made it all the way until 1:00 pm before day care called. Poor E had an ear ache so I picked her up.  Funny how the kid crying in pain at day care morphs into the kid singing "What Does the Fox Say" at home.  Hmm.  Either kids Motrin is really effective or someone played me.

After this week of family togetherness, I am leaving Monday for a work trip to New York and won't be back until Friday. Bwah ha ha!  You can understand why Hubs had to escape the house last night for karaoke and beer. I'll enjoy my time out with other professional grown-ups and possibly cocktails, but have a feeling I will pay dearly for it when I come home in snuggle demands and so much talking.  Good heavens, so much talking.


No comments:

Post a Comment