Background

Monday, January 7, 2013

Which "Downton Abbey" Character Are You?

Like many other people, I am OBSESSED with "Downton Abbey".  I watched seasons one and two when they aired, then again in preparation for season three.  I sat my family down Friday and said, "Mommy loves you, but "Downton Abbey" comes back Sunday night.  From 9:00-11:00 pm, I don't exist. If you need anything at all, ask Daddy."  I don't ask for a lot, so I think this was perfectly reasonable.  Besides, no one under twelve should still be up that late anyway.

Part of the appeal of the show is the romanticism of the 1920's.  It seems insanely glamorous to wear sequined gowns and tuxes to dinner.  I don't know about you, but having a maid to do my hair, bring me tea, and clean my house doesn't sound too shabby.  I'm sure the reality of that time period's medical advancement, women's rights and questionable plumbing would not be nearly as glam as it appears on television but the fantasy is pretty fantastic.  Unless you are one of the "downstairs" people- the maids, the footmen, the valets.  Their life appears significantly less romantic.  So it was with excitement and some trepidation that I took PBS's quiz, "Which Downton Abbey Job is Right For You?".  The good news: I am part of the fabulous Crawley family- decidedly upstairs people.  The not so great news: I am Lady Edith.  Lady Edith?  She's okay, but big sister Mary's life is markedly more interesting and exciting.  Sigh.  Even my imaginary life needs more excitement.  : ) Which "Downton" character are you?

Quick update on my selfishness project (that sounds so bad!): I bought myself Starbucks Friday morning without feeling a bit of guilt about it.  Yes, I was using a gift card, but I still usually feel a little guilty not sharing it with the whole family (you see how deep my sickness lies, right?). Saturday night, the whole family went out and I expressed an opinion on where I wanted to eat.  We went there and guess what?  The world didn't end.  Everyone had a good time! Small steps, people.

1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, I apparently am Lady Edith, too! And at least the description of her was rather flattering. I was rather hoping I'd be the Dowager Countess but at least I'm not O'Brien.

    ReplyDelete