Background

Thursday, August 8, 2013

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

For some reason, my 11 year old doesn't appreciate my annual singing of "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" while we walk through the school supply section of any store.  I love everything about the girls starting back to school: the smell of new pencils, fresh notebooks, the classroom newsletters every Friday.  I especially love the feeling of order and routine.  I work full-time, so even in the summer they are gone all day at camp.  However, to keep up the "fun factor", summer camp likes to switch it up every day with a field trip or water day.  On school days, it is a simple eat breakfast, brush your teeth and get out of here kind of morning.




These sassy girls started school back yesterday.  I cannot believe I have a middle school-er, a second grader and a pre-K-er.  I was a little sad to see even the baby go off to a real structured class, but then I thought about how much money I am saving by her attending a free-ish pre-K program and I felt better (thanks, Georgia lottery).  I've been the most "emotional" about G starting sixth grade.  I'm so proud of her and excited for her, but part of me wants to scoop her up and make her snuggle me again.  (She won't- I've tried.)  In the last couple of weeks, she has gotten her first cell phone and contacts so she just seems so much older to me now.  She's also riding the school bus for the first time.  I know millions of kids do that every day, but it is a big deal to me.  So much independence!  She's probably going to move into her own apartment any day now.

G came home really jazzed up about her first day and it sounds like it went really well.  The cafeteria has a salad bar!  Yay!  She spent all day with best friend then came home and texted him all evening. Yay!  Middle school is a really weird balance of figuring out how much can I influence her and how much does she need to make her own decisions.  For example, I think she would be well served to take Spanish as an elective; she is more interested in music technology.  Not major life decisions, but we are clearly entering new territory.  Scary, scary territory.  As long as she is happy, keeps her grades up, and keeps rolling those eyes when I ask about any cute boys, mama is happy.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment